Tuesday, March 10, 2009
Roasted garlic tomato focaccia
(Makes 2 portions of bread)
3 cups unbleached all purpose flour
1 packet or 7 grams dry active yeast
1 cup warm water
3 tbsp Olive oil
10-15 Cherry tomatoes sliced
2 Cloves of garlic minced and roasted
Few Basil leaves minced
1. Add the yeast to half a cup of warm water. In about 5-10 minutes it will start to froth.
2. In a large mixing bowl combine flour and salt. Add the yeast water to the flour and the remaining half cup water knead well to make a smooth dough.
I f you need more water you may add it but make sure its warm.
3. Add one tbsp olive oil and knead well. Now oil the bowl, cover with plastic wrap and allow the dough to sit for about an hour to double in size.
4. Once doubled in size punch down the air in the dough and divide into two portions.
5. Sprinkle your working surface with few drops of oil. Place the dough on it and stretch it to form a even oval of 1/2 inch thickness. Transfer onto a baking sheet.
6. Now dimple the upper surface with your index finger or with a handle of any vessel and roughly space the tomatoes. Sprinkle garlic, basil, salt and oil. Also apply oil with the help of a brush on the rim of the bread.
7. Bake at 160 degree C for 10 minutes. Sprinkle the grated cheese generously and bake for another 10 minutes or until golden brown.