Tuesday, March 03, 2009
Kalakand (Indian sweet)
1 liter Milk (I used 3.8%)
50 ml Fresh cream (I used 36%)
3 tsp Lemon juice
400 grams Condensed milk sweetened
2-3 tsp Cane Sugar
Few Pistachios broken into small pieces
1. Boil milk and cream together.Once boiled add the lemon juice or whey water allowing it to curdle.
Turn off the flame.
2. Strain this cheese on a seive allowing the water to drain completely. Keep aside.
3. Pour the sweetened condensed milk into a heavy bottomed vessel and boil it.
Add the strained cheese to this once the condensed milk starts to froth. Add cane sugar if required.
4. Now allow it to cook for atleast 30- 45 minutes stirring continuously till it reaches a moisture free lumpy consistency.
5. Remove from flame and set in a open flat tray. Allow to cool. Run the knife to cut it into squares.
Embellish with pistachios and relish the sweet treat.