Monday, January 26, 2009
Almost Hyderabadi Chicken Biryani
3 cups Basmati rice
2 Large onions thinly sliced and deep fried until crisp divide into two portions
500 grams Chicken with bones
Marinate chicken with the following:
1 Javitri or Mace
2 Bay leaves
1 tsp Cumin seeds
3 1" Cinnamon sticks
1 1/2 tsp Cumin powder
1 1/2 tsp Coriander powder
1 tsp Turmeric powder
1 tbsp Red chili powder
5-6 Green chilies slit
1 Portion of fried Onions
50 grams Mint leaves finely chopped
50 grams coriander leaves finely chopped
2 tbsp Yogurt
1. Wash and soak the basmati rice in water for atleast 30 minutes.
2. Marinate the chicken for minimum 45 minutes.
3. Heat about 1 tbsp oil in a vessel, once hot add the marinated chicken and 2 tbsp water cook till well done on a low flame. Make sure this has a thick gravy like consistency.
4. Boil water in a pot add salt and 1 tbsp oil, now add the soaked rice and cook till almost done. Strain and keep aside.
5. In a thick bottomed vessel layer chicken, rice and left over portion of fried onions.
6. Add a pinch of saffron to 1 tbsp water and pour over the rice. Cover vessel with a napkin and then place a lid over it.
7. Heat water in a wide frying pan and place the heavy bottomed vessel in it. Let it cook on low flame for about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
Serve with Raitha and Mirchi ka salan.
NOTE: I said almost because I haven't cooked my biryani over coal in a handi (type of a vessel).