Friday, November 07, 2008
Makes about 20 Rasgullas
1 liter Milk(I used 3.5% milk)
100 ml Fresh cream(I used 36% cream)
1 tbsp Lemon juice or whey water
2 tsp All purpose flour (Maida)
1 1/2 cup Sugar
4 cups Water
1. Boil milk and cream together.Once boiled turn off the flame and add the lemon juice or whey water allowing it to curdle.
[Whey water is nothing but water reserved when straining paneer(cheese),it is said that whey water yields more paneer(cheese)]
2. Strain this cheese in a cheese cloth hang it for about 3-4 hours allowing the water to drain completely.
3. Now knead this cheese to make a smooth dough, add maida knead well.
4. Make small balls make sure there are no cracks and keep aside. (remember once these are cooked they swell upto 4 times in size)
5. Boil water and add sugar once the sugar dissolves add these cheese balls turn the flame to high with lid partially covered, allow it to cook for about 15-20 minutes.
You may also cook the rasgullas in a pressure cooker along with the syrup. Once u hear the first whistle turn off the flame and open the lid before the steam escapes completely.
6. The rasgullas float once they are cooked another method to check is to press the rasgullas if it springs back and retains its original shape,it is cooked.
Cool and chill before serving.
This is my entry to Preety's Kitchen CFK-MILK PRODUCTS